I’m baaaaack!… from outer space. JK I may as well have been there. Seriously though I was itching to get into the kitchen so between recovery and the new little bundle of cuteness I whipped up this easy Caramel Apple Dump Cake.
I’m not quite sure how I feel about the term “dump cake”, but as I said… I was looking for easy. I had a box mix on hand and then I just needed butter and a filling. I must say that I had such a taste for something with apples I did actually make the filling from scratch. So much for easy, right? LOL Thankfully “Junior” is pretty much on the eat and sleep plan at the moment so this was simple enough that I was able to do it during one of his many naps. 😉
My favorite apple anytime I make homemade filling has to be the Granny Smith. Love the tartness! I didn’t make the filling overly sweet and a little heavy cream kicks the filling up to caramel goodness. It was absolutely perfect with a scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream and drizzled with some more caramel sauce. And when I said that I was itching to make some tasty goodness, I wasn’t kidding. Somehow I managed to make the caramel sauce from scratch too. I may have done that the night before… didn’t want to over do it or anything like that. LOL When we were having leftovers (those didn’t last very long), we just popped a piece of cake in the microwave for about 30 – 45 seconds to warm it up a little bit .
I’m really looking forward to blogging on my own blog this year! My brain is swirling with ideas. I just need to find a groove with a newborn and 3 bigger kiddos. 😉 I hope that everyone’s 2016 is off to a great start. Stay tuned for more goodies. I recently made a delicious cake for my brother’s birthday that I’ll be sharing soon. In the meantime, happy baking friends!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ½ c (1 stick) butter
- 4 large Granny Smith apples, chopped (about 8 c)
- juice of 1 small lemon (about 2 Tbsp)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp corn starch
- ⅓ c sugar
- ¼ c heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13" baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Prepare the filling by putting the chopped apples into a large heavy saucepan.
- Mix in the lemon juice, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, corn starch, and sugar. Heat the mixer over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens.
- When the mixture is thick and bubbly reduce heat to low add the vanilla and heavy cream. Mix well.
- When heavy cream is incorporated turn off the heat and the butter.
- Spread the filling evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the apple filling evenly then pour the melted butter over the cake mix.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 - 50 minutes, you want the top to be lightly browned.
- Serve warm with ice cream and caramel or some whipped cream.