Sometimes recipe ideas come to me in a dream. I must have had pretzels and rice krispies on the brain. Today I bring you Salted Pretzel Peanut Butter & Caramel Rice Krispy Treats. 😀
We all know I’m a sucker for the salty/sweet thing, so when the inspiration hit I just had to make these. Now the first time I made these treats I only used 1 cup of pretzels and I chopped them too fine. They ended up lost in the rice cereal. When I made them a second time I doubled the pretzels and rough chopped them so they were about 1″ long. THIS made all the difference! The pretzels now balanced nicely with the rice krispies and the salty/sweet I was looking for was there.
As if making rice krispy treats with pretzels wasn’t enough… how about peanut butter rice krispy treats with crushed pretzels, topped with caramel, then topped with a layer of melted milk chocolate. Delicious!!
Just to give you an idea of how tasty these are… my 11 year old daughter does not like caramel (I know, I’m not sure what happened there), but she loves these rice krispy treats!
These Salted Pretzel Peanut Butter & Caramel Rice Krispy Treats are easy to whip up for any party or for an after school treat. They’d be perfect for any football gathering you might be hosting and there’s no oven required. 😉
Salted Pretzel Peanut Butter & Caramel Rice Krispy Treats
- 4 c rice crispy cereal
- 2 c lightly crushed salted pretzel sticks (about 1" pieces)
- 1- 10 oz package marshmallows
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 c peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- about ½ c caramel topping
- 1- 11.5 oz package milk chocolate chips
- In a large pot (one that will allow all the the cereal and pretzels to be mixed in, less dishes is always a plus) melt the butter over medium low heat and add the marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows are melted.
- Add the peanut butter and stir until creamy. Turn off the heat.
- Add the pretzels and cereal and stir until well coated.
- Press the cereal into a 9 x 13" pan.
- Spread the caramel topping over the rice krispy treats.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the milk chocolate for 30 - 40 seconds. Using a spatula gently stir the chocolate chips. Put them back in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time, stirring after every time they go in the microwave. Be careful not to burn the chocolate, it's very important to do this incrementally. If you use a glass bowl the residual heat will help to melt the chocolate too. Stir until all the chips are melted and the chocolate is smooth.
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the rice krispy treats and chill in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!