I’m on a cookie kick lately and I’ll be making more this weekend too. Today I’m sharing these uber delicious Chewy Chocolate Toffee Cookies.
Chewy Chocolate Toffee Cookies
Lately I’ve been enjoying straying from the beaten “chocolate chip cookie” path. I recently made Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies and I wanted to make chocolate cookies again. This time I was at the store (what else is new) and the inspiration hit to pick up some toffee chips.
I guess I was thinking along the lines of chocolate turtles… I knew I had chocolate chips and pecans in the pantry so it just seemed like a no brainer to pick up the Heath toffee bits. 😉 It just so happened that I was talking to a friend about cookies just before I made these. She was telling me about a recipe that her grandmother used to make and I told her that I was about to make a cookie that sounded similar. One of the things that stuck out for me was that she said that her grandmother’s cookies were nice and chewy.
I had an idea how to accomplish a chewier cookie, but I hadn’t done it before with my go to recipe. It made me a tad nervous about how things would turn out even though experience told me that it would be totally OK. What is this secret to a chewier cookie you might be asking? Eggs… one extra egg is all it took to take these chocolate toffee cookies the next level!
It’s amazing how one small tweak could make something that’s already tasty just a little bit better. The true test though was what will my cookie connoisseur (aka my hubby) think? His reaction… “Roxana, you should SELL these!!” as he washed them down with a glass of milk. He even helped me with setting up for the pictures. 😀 With that, my work here is done… happy baking friends! 😉
- 1 c (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- ¾ c sugar
- ¾ c brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1¾ c flour
- ½ c cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 c milk chocolate chips
- 1 c toffee bits (I used Heath)
- 1 c chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment cream the butter and sugars together.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and instant coffee, beat on medium high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together. With the mixer on low speed add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in 3 additions. Mix until well combined scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Mix the milk chocolate chips, toffee bits, and pecans by hand using a wooden spoon.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop rounded balls of dough onto an ungreased (or parchment lined) cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on the pan for a couple minutes them move them to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Store cookies in an air tight container or Ziploc bag.