I failed at making dulche de leche… so I turned my fail into a win with these Oatmeal Magic Cookie Bars. 😉
Oatmeal Magic Cookie Bars
Yes, you read that right… I failed at making dulche de leche. I’ve never made it before and I only had one can of condensed milk so I decided to try the stove top method I read about on The Pioneer Woman. I think that I turned my heat down too low so I ended up with barely butterscotch instead of a nice rich caramel color. Oh well, I’ll have to try it again.
Completely dissatisfied with my dulche de leche color, I was looking at the label of the condensed milk and thought… I’ve never made magic bars before. I loosely followed the recipe because I didn’t have any graham crackers and quite frankly I felt like having something with oatmeal.
I will definitely be making these again! They are super easy and boy are they tasty and indulgent… I may or may not have had 2 after my lunch the other day with a glass of milk of course. So good!
One of the things I love about these oatmeal magic bars is it’s one of those things that begins with a pantry dive for a little bit of this and a little bit of that and ends up with ooey gooey deliciousness. In addition to using oatmeal as the base I used 2 different kinds of chocolate chips, shredded coconut, and pecans.
Seriously, I’m gonna stop right there because you need to hit your pantry up and go make these ASAP!
- ½ c butter, melted
- 2 c oatmeal
- ¼ c brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c milk chocolate chips
- ½ c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 c shredded coconut
- 1 c chopped pecans
- 1- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8 x 8" baking dish with cooking spray. Pour the melted butter into the pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix the oatmeal with the brown sugar and salt well and sprinkle that over the melted butter in an even layer.
- Next top with the milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips evenly over the oatmeal layer, followed by the shredded coconut and pecans.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk all over the top evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. Cool completely before slicing.
- Store sliced bars in an airtight container.