I contemplated using the word “best” in the title, I hate that word because it’s relative. What is my best may not be your best. These cookies however do make my favorite and my best list to quote Lola. 😉
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
My husband is actually the one that absolutely fell in love with these chewy chocolate chip cookies. The more I bake, the more I learn. What I learned is that to achieve this chewy, gooey cookie I just needed to add an egg. That’s it… one little egg kicked my already tasty recipe up a notch.
I also had a lesson in “not-all-ovens-are-made-the-same” when I made these cookies in my sister-in-law’s oven over Christmas break. I’m still not sure what happened exactly. I normally bake cookies in a gas oven on a stone sheet pan. At my SIL’s I made these in an electric oven on traditional metal cookie sheets. Don’t get me wrong, the cookies were still super tasty and loved by all. They just didn’t look the way they do when I make them at home.
Just to experiment… I made this recipe after we came home and baked the cookies on parchment and a metal cookie sheet. They were chewy. The only thing I noticed was that the metal cookie sheets were less forging on time then my trusty stone sheet pan. Definitely use the lower time if you are using a metal cookie sheet. Next time I’m in Savannah I’m going to have to pay closer attention to what I’m doing… perhaps I didn’t have the oven to the right temperature. #baffledandconfused
Even the most seasoned baker has their moments. No one’s perfect no matter how much we try. 😀 Thanks for listening to my oven lament. In the mean time I do hope you’ll give these Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies a try.
For more cookie goodness check out these Browned Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies (browned butter anything is da bomb!… just sayin’) or there’s these Chewy Chocolate Toffee Cookies too. 😉
- 1 c (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- ¾ c sugar
- ¾ c brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp instant coffee/espresso powder
- 2¼ c flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 c (12 oz bag) semi sweet chocolate chips
- *The instant coffee enhances the chocolate flavor, it does not give the cookies a "coffee" flavor. You can omit this if you wish.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment cream the butter and sugars together.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and instant coffee, beat on medium high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together. With the mixer on low speed add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in 3 additions. Mix until well combined scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Mix in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop rounded balls of dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on the pan for a couple minutes them move them to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Store cookies in an air tight container.