Oh. Em. Gee!!! I’m writing a post on my very own blog. Someone please pinch me! So before I hyperventilate over here, enjoy this recipe for yummy Mocha Cupcakes.
Last week my friend asked me to help her by making 5 dozen cupcakes for a baby shower. We decided on 3 different flavors… because who doesn’t love variety, right? 😉 One of the special requests was to make mocha cupcakes since it’s the mommy-to-be’s favorite. I realized I’ve never made mocha cupcakes. I’ve made a caramel latte cake (which I’ve never written a post on come to think of it, add that to my recipe to-do list), but never mocha. As a coffee LOVER I am fixing that today with these cupcakes.
Coffee and chocolate are like a match made in heaven, so I knew that this would be easy-peasy. In fact my most favorite, go-to chocolate cake recipes call for using coffee in them because coffee brings out the chocolate flavor. If you’ve never done that before I urge you to try it… even if you just add a couple teaspoons of instant coffee to your favorite recipe it will help to kick that chocolate flavor up a notch.
For this recipe I used hot coffee in lieu of hot water and then of course I made a fluffy, mocha buttercream. I don’t know about you, but what would your favorite coffee house drink be without a little topping goodness? So I drizzled the cupcakes with a little chocolate ganache and caramel. Mmm-mmm! In fact, my mom tried one today and said they had “great coffee flavor!” and my friend told me that the cupcakes were a hit! The guest of honor loved these. 😀
These are simple and tasty and sure to please the coffee lover in your life. Grab your cup of Joe and enjoy some Mocha Cupcakes.
PS In case you’re wondering about the other 2 flavors… I made my recipe for Nutella Cupcakes and my friend Betsy’s recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting since the theme was monkeys. Where there are monkeys, there must be bananas. 😉
- 2 c flour
- 2 c sugar
- ¾ c cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 c whole milk
- ½ c canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 c hot coffee
- 3 sticks (1½ c) butter, room temperature
- 4½ - 5½ c powdered sugar
- 1 T cocoa powder
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ c heavy whipping cream
- homemade or store bought caramel
- ½ c semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ c heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with 24 liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, & instant coffee) and stir them up using the whisk attachment.
- With the mixer on the lowest speed add the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Increase the speed to medium and mix until well combined. Scrape down your bowl as needed.
- Return the mixer to low speed and slowly add the hot coffee, scrape the bowl down, and beat on high for about 1 minute.
- Using a scoop, divide the batter into the lined pans filling them about ¾ full.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 14 - 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a few cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for about a minute and move cupcakes to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter.
- Add the powdered sugar ½ c at a time mixing well after each addition, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the salt and cocoa powder, mixing well. Then add vanilla and beat on high for a couple minutes.
- Add the instant coffee to the heaving whipping cream and stir until coffee is mostly dissolved. Add the coffee cream to the buttercream and beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cooled cupcakes using your favorite tip.
- For the garnish, place the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and heat the heavy whipping cream over low heat just until you see a gentle simmer around the edge of the pan. Pour the cream over the chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool. Drizzle with the cooled ganache and caramel.