I have found a new simple dessert and I might be slightly obsessed. What is it you might ask? It’s an Easy Peach Galette of course! 😉
Easy Peach Galette
Last week I made an apple pecan galette for my friend Carolina’s blog, A Butterful Mind. It was easy, it was rustic, and it was tasty. It’s nice to have some treats that can be whipped up with relative easy.
I am a fan of pies, but I’m not a pie maker. The crust is never as pretty as the picture in my head. I mean have you seen the video of the Death Star pie crust someone made on Facebook? Amazing! My crimped edges look like a hot mess and I am just not experienced with the whole pie crust making… all shortening, all butter, half and half. I am clueless and couldn’t really tell you which is best. LOL
A galette is kind of like an open faced pie/tart. No baking vessel is required, you just need some parchment and a sheet pan. Fillings can be pretty much anything you put in pie. I still need to experiment with filling preparations. Is it better to cook the filling and thicken it a bit with cornstarch or just toss everything together fresh and pile it on the crust? I will have to try cooking a filling and we’ll see, but in the meantime fresh fruit works great.
So this easy peach galette happened because I had an extra pie crust that needed to be used and because I happened to catch peaches on sale. 😉
After making the apple pecan galette and this easy peach galette I joked that I want to #galetteallthethings. It truly is very simple to make and it would be great served at your next Sunday brunch!
- 1 premade 12” pie crust, thawed
- 2 c (about 2 large peaches), sliced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ c sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp cold butter
- 2 Tbsp apricot preserves thinned with one tsp water (I used Hero Velvet)
- About 1 Tbsp chopped almonds for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the sliced peaches, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and flour.
- Unroll the pie crust on the parchment lined baking sheet and pile the peaches in the middle of the crust. Spread them out evenly leaving a 2” border of crust all the way around the galette.
- Begin on one side to fold the edge of crust up over the peaches and keep going around folding a bit of the crust and crimping it over the previous fold you made.
- Cut the tablespoon of butter into small cubes and place them on top of the peaches.
- Brush the crust edge with a thin layer of apricot glaze.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until the crust is a nice golden brown color.
- Remove from oven and brush the apricot glaze all over the top of galette and sprinkle with chopped almonds.
- Slide the galette off the baking pan (keeping it on the parchment) onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Slice and serve! Store any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator.